Monday, December 10, 2012

It's the Most Hectic Time of the Year

Tis the Season, everyone! The season to spend six and a half hours plowing through crowds at the mall in order to ensure that all of your Christmas shopping is done in time. Come on.. that can't just be me!

Before I dive into Christmas Shopping Extravaganza 2012, I wanted to provide a quick update on my post about the Ugly Christmas Sweater Party I attended Friday night. What did I end up going with?? Drum roll please....

Christmas Gift Bags!

That's right, ladies and gentlemen, we brought it back. Easy to create, hilarious to wear, but not in the least bit sturdy (see picture #4). How do you make these delightful costumes? Easy, easy.

1. Cut out the bottom of a large gift bag, and remove the handles.
2. Slip the bag on and measure both for strap and bag length.
3. Create straps using the holes created by the original handles. I recommend securing with tape!
4. Stick a big bow on the front!

And you're all set! Now, you are wearing things that rip easily, so please keep this in mind when plotting what to wear underneath. I went with a black turtleneck and leggings, just to be on the safe side!

Ok, now for the Christmas Shopping Extravanganza. Let me preface this by saying that I, jokingly, predicted that it would take me six (count 'em, six) hours to complete everything on my list. In reality I was thinking three, knowing that my Uggs and holiday spirit would not be able to survive the mall for that long.

Six and a half hours later, I was on the couch surrounded by shopping bags and rubbing my feet. Why oh why oh why??? Simple really: who is able to accomplish all of their holiday shopping in one store? If you can, you may leave now (but first email me about how you managed this feat). Sure, I could go to a department store and find something for everyone, but I refuse to let my own laziness get in the way of the happiness of my loved ones at Christmas time (awww).

Not helping? My nasty little habit of not being able to stick to the list I so carefully prepared before venturing out. But I can't help it, sometimes I'm moved to shop! Laughing? You're about to feel awful about that...

#ToysforTots

Every time I walk past Build-a-Bear, I never seriously consider stopping in. Who would I build a bear for? I have things to do, places to go, so I move on. But when I saw two Marines standing in front of an almost-full box of bears and stuffed animals outside of the Ross Park Mall location, I was literally moved to shop. Hence, the cute little guy above was born, and quickly handed over to be given to a child this Christmas. The actual story is much longer, and more filled with tears because of two adorable kids donating bears in front of me, but I'll save that part for another day. I hope he finds a wonderful home!

But I wasn't done yet. My impulse shopping got the best of me again at Walmart where, while picking up a few cleaning supplies for the apartment, I noticed a rather empty-looking box for Toys for Tots once again. Naturally, I headed straight to the toys section and picked out an adorable Barbie and a pair of Playskool cars to contribute.

Why all of the random giving? I honestly couldn't help it. As I wandered store to store, I spent plenty of money on the people in my life (and even a little bit on myself). Usually, I just want to get in and out as quickly as possible. The parking lots are disastrous, no one seems to be in the holiday spirit, and everyone is looking out for themselves as they plow down the halls. But seeing all of the people making gifts to donate at Build-a-Bear really snapped me out of my funk. Why not spend a few dollars to do some good? Why not take some time to better a child's Christmas? My BaB and Walmart adventures combined took under 30 minutes, but I truly believe that it made a difference.

And I still feel wonderful :)

How are you do-good'ing this holiday season?

SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment