Friday, November 16, 2012

Got It From My Mama

I like to think that many of my parent's good graces have been passed down to me... but I'm not quite sure that cooking is one of them. Unfortunately, it is that time of year. The time of year when I must put my skills in the kitchen to the test, and cook for large numbers of people. Sigh.

Today marks the first of these occasions for the 2012 Holiday Season - Thanksgiving Pot Luck at my place of business. After deciding on something along the lines of store-bought dip and pita chips when I first received the invitation, I was quickly pushed out of the category, with about ten other people signing up to bring dips as well. Oh well, I could find some pre-made cookies or something and be done with it.

And then I opened my big mouth. When coworkers started asking what I'd be bringing instead, I let it slip that I had my mom's recipe for Sausage Rounds and described them in all of their glory. Everyone was hooked, and I was in trouble. Now I'd have to make them. Look out!

How'd it go? Well, my apartment is still intact, and I didn't even set the smoke alarm off, so that's a success in my book.

I also thought that this would be the perfect opportunity to share my mom's delicious recipe with the world (blogging world, that is). Given the name "Sausage Rounds", it should be no shock to anyone that this is NOT a healthy recipe - I cannot tell a lie - but it is easy to make for large groups, and is delicious when enjoyed in moderation!

Sausage Rounds

Ingredients:
- 2 containers of Kaukauna Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 2 rolls of regular Jimmy Dean Sausage (spice level based on preference)
- 1 loaf of wheat bread

Directions:
1. Brown sausage in large pan
2. Once browned, pour onto plate and remove grease with paper towels
3. Pour meat into large mixing bowl, and add two containers of Kaukauna Cheese
4. Stir with large spoon until meat and cheese are completely blended together
5. Pour meat and cheese mix back into large pan, and heat on low for 5-10 minutes


6. Toast bread, cutting out small circles in each slice (recommend two per slice)
7. Scoop mixture with tablespoon onto bread rounds
8. Put completed rounds on cookie sheet and bake for 8 minutes
9. Serve immediately, or place on paper plates inside of large plastic Ziploc bags and freeze until ready to serve


Mmm, mmm, mmm!

Enjoy!

Also hooking up with Rebecca @ Let Them Eat Cake, Chrissy @ A Lil' Dash of Diva, and Julia @ Julia's Math for this week's That Friday Blog Hop!

Let Them Eat Cake

SJ

4 comments:

  1. yum! You are right, it's not healthy but sounds delicious! Just found you blog, would you like to follow each other?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah! I nominated you for the Liebster award! Go check out the post on my blog :)

    http://alhadventures.blogspot.com/2012/11/liebster-award.html

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I will make sure to complete the entry ASAP!

      Delete