Thursday, October 25, 2012

Think Pink

Given that it's October, I felt there was no better time to dedicate a post to Breast Cancer Awareness. It's time to Think Pink, everyone!

Breast Cancer Awareness has had a special place in my heart for years now. It all started when I was living in Chicago and my mom began volunteering for, and walking in what was then the Avon 3-Day Walk for Breast Cancer. Partnered with Susan G. Komen, Avon hosted the walk every summer in downtown Chicago, drawing thousands. I was officially hooked on the magic of these women and men, and this cause when I stood along the finish line and watched the walkers finish the last mile... in complete silence. I may have only been 13, but I was moved to tears at the power of that moment.

Since then, my mom has completed the walk numerous times, many of which were Avon's 2-Day Walk after Susan G. Komen took over the 3-Day, and the support shown by her husband, friends, family and community over the years has been inspiring.

The next chapter of my commitment to Thinking Pink began when I joined Zeta Tau Alpha in 2007. Rushing was an insanely overwhelming process and I'd be lying if I said I could remember most of it, but one experience that stands out to this day was listening to my soon-to-be sisters talk about their dedication to Breast Cancer Awareness. I instantly knew that I'd found a home.

Why do I have Pink on the brain? Well, for the second consecutive day my blog was inspired by another's words:


Photo Courtesy of CNN

This simple idea by an 11-year-old as officially adopted by the NFL for this weekend's games. Further proof that no idea, or person is too small to make a difference.

Below are some of my adventures in Thinking Pink...

If you've done this walk, you know that laughter is key! - Avon Walk 2007


Celebrating at the end of the walk. Not a dry eye in the house. And look at all the pink!!


Race For the Cure with two of my favorites in 2008 #ZLAM


Why yes, that is real! Got the symbol from the Avon Walk on my ankle during the summer of 2009!
(I was feeling rebellious)

How are you Thinking Pink this October?

SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment