Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Hangover

No, this post isn't about the movie "The Hangover", though did you hear they're in the process of making the third installment? Really? The second just wasn't that good. No, I'm referring to real-life hangovers, and not necessarily the kind you get from having a few too many cocktails at happy hour.

I have a running hangover. After running and running for weeks and weeks, I am, to be blunt, sick of it. I view running as an escape - no matter what kind of day I have had, or how I am feeling, running offers me a brief break from it all. When running becomes "mandatory", however, it becomes more like a chore that is right up there with doing laundry and finally emptying the dish washer. The cure? I'm trying different forms of exercise to complement my running schedule. For example, I had kickball last night and am taking a Total Body Drum Beat class tonight. A little variety in my workout routine is just what I need.

I have a blogging hangover. Don't get me wrong, I love to blog, but I think I went a little crazy right off the bat. Relentlessly posting and updating my pages like there was no tomorrow, to the point where I felt like I had to go out of my way to create things to write about. And that's just not the point of this blog. The point is to detail my journey in a candid way, not to give me something to do during lag time at work. The cure? Back to the basics - writing about life in The Pitts as it happens.

I have a friends-and-fun hangover. This weekend was the best and most random assortment of activities and friends. Visiting the good ol' MU for Homecoming Weekend, I was able to see some of my very best friends, get a tour of the local eateries (and bars) that I miss so much, and watch lots and lots of football. I met new people, had a few cocktails, and altogether enjoyed myself. And now I miss it. Work was a rude awakening yesterday morning, but when is it not on a Monday? The cure? Planning fun activities for the weekend and future visits to keep me occupied!






Oh, and I have an NFL-referee-lockout hangover. Need I say more? Who doesn't these days? Week 3 was atrocious, and I can't wait to see the Week 4 debacle should the lockout continue. Sigh.

So those are my current hangovers. Each one a little different from the last, but all easily cured. What are you hungover from today? And no, drinking is not an acceptable response because it's a Tuesday people - get it together.

SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment