Friday, September 14, 2012

Being a Big Girl

Pay day. What a glorious day. But there is also no other day that reminds me that I am officially a big girl more than this bi-monthly blessing. I remember the days of receiving the lovely (though always tiny) paycheck from my first job in high school. What did I do with it? Oh sure, part of it would go into savings to appease the parents. The rest? Consider it spent. I'm not even sure on what, but it was long gone before the next one arrived. I must have shopped a lot. Or had a boyfriend that didn't pay for anything.. ever. Oh wait, both of those were true. But who cares? I had a roof over my head, gas in the tank, and food on the table courtesy of Mom and Dad. If I didn't say thank you enough, consider this post a huge, tremendous thank you.

Now here I am, a college grad out fending for myself in the real world. I think it takes being out on your own to realize how good you had it. I'm lucky enough to have parents who have supported me throughout the painstaking process of venturing out on my lonesome, or else I don't know how I would've done it. My move to Pittsburgh was the first one that I had ever done without them there to pack me, move me and assemble me, and I think it was harder on them than it was on me.

Now what does pay day mean? Bills and more bills. But I can't complain, with the way the economy is today, I am lucky enough to be a twenty-something with a stable job and the ability to live a life outside of paycheck-to-paycheck.

What I Learned in High School: uhhh....

What I Wish I Had Learned: Accounting. How to keep your credit score up. Which health care plan is right for me. The value of a 401K.

I'm not going to lie - being a big kid is pretty awesome. You learn about glorious things called "Happy Hours" and "Paid Vacation". Was there life before I knew of these? I just don't know. But then comes the serious stuff that you used to leave to your parents. For instance, today I signed up for my own car insurance. Once again, being removed from their policy was harder on them than me I believe. And, you know what? It feels good. One other thing I am able to do for myself, even if it is a simple one.

The moral of the story is as follows: To you college kids out there (or even younger), enjoy it. Spend a little too much at the bar, order a few too many pizzas at 3am, go crazy. But don't be naive. The real world is just on the other side, and the more you can prepare yourself, the more fun you will have being a big kid! Say it with me.. H-a-p-p-y H-o-u-r...

SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment