Thursday, August 23, 2012

Craving of the Day #1

I'm not a picky eater - I'm just not. And when it comes to a night out, I'd be just as happy grabbing a burger as I would be going to a steakhouse (cheap date, I know). But when it comes to cooking, I become a bit pickier. Why? Because I have three requirements for a self-made meal:

1. Has to be easy (to cook and clean)
2. Has to take one hour or less
3. All ingredients must be able to be bought at one place

Granted, I'll absolutely go all-out every once in awhile and make something extravagant. After working all day, sitting in an hour of traffic, and running, however, most nights I just don't have it in me to slave away over a dinner for one. I don't like me THAT much, but I like myself enough to put something together that's worth eating, and that's not going to make me want to run all over again.

So, below is my first Craving of the Day - a meal for the time-poor, wanting-to-do-other-things-rich working girl (or guy):

(courtesy of BacktoherRoots.com, with a few changes by me)


Ingredients

  • 12 ounces whole wheat penne
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
  • 8 ounces zucchini, sliced
  • Salt, garlic salt and pepper
  • 4 cups fresh spinach
  • 8 ounces medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1/3 cup marinara sauce
  • 1/3 cup 0% plain Greek yogurt
  • 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Instructions

  1. Cook penne according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and set aside.
  2. In a large skillet with a lid, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add in garlic and cook for 2 minutes or until garlic begins to soften.
  3. Add in mushrooms, salt and pepper. Cook for 4 minutes on medium-high.
  4. Add in shrimp. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until shrimp are pink and opaque. Remove from heat, add in zucchini and spinach, and cover skillet. Let sit for 2 minutes.
  5. Remove lid and place skillet back over low heat. Add the penne, Greek yogurt and pasta sauce. Stir until sauce is mixed well and all pasta and veggies are coated. Heat until just warmed through, adding in the garlic salt and mixing well. Divide into pasta bowls and serve topped with parmesan cheese.
Eat up! For more of my cravings (the healthy, the borderline horrible for you, and the just plain weird), follow me on Pinterest!

SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment